The answer to that is most professionals can help save time, money and plant regret syndrome later on down the road. Planning for the future is what I do when consulting for a new client. Landscape assessment includes
- List client's main needs, wants, and landscape desires.
- Problems to be dealt with
- Solutions for problems
- Gardening level and client involvement level
- Any favorite plant materials and any plant material dislikes.
- Warm color person, cool color person. Bright & bold or pastels & white?
- Suggest projects that may improve that client's individual landscape
Experience has taught me what grows well in our climate and growing zone. I know this from growing all plants before I recommend to others. This gives me an edge over other landscapers. 20 years organic Oklahoma growing experience helps me help others plan the best garden for their current locale. A pro landscape provider has knowledge of 'which plants do best' and at 'what level of attention' it may need to survive and thrive. I would never advise a non-gardener to try to grow finicky, picky, or high-maintenance plant materials. Likewise, I would never recommend any over planted or boring un-original plants to the garden enthusiast. I would chase high and low, searching for new, improved, or unusually ornamental stock of plants currently available.
I view a clients landscape as a relationship between the plant materials and the person living within the landscape. I'm the dating club manager and it's up to me to introduce prospective matches for hospitable joining and mutual appreciation.
As a practicing green witch, I have trained my eye to observe a plant positive or negative vibration. I'm in tune to the signs of plant happiness and contentment in its living environment. I can tell if it's thriving or would maybe be happier in a different location. After observing plants in environments where they thrive gives me a base to compare them to, as opposed to when struggling to survive.
A good landscape provider will design like needed plants with other plants that have the same moisture requirements and sun tolerance. This alone will save many plants lives in grand scheme of the landscape plan. The main groupings might go like this for example
- Hot, dry and sunny area (usually on West and South side of structures)
- Dry shade (underneath shade trees, North side of structures.
- Moist shade (irrigated?)
- Filtered Sun (exposure could be East side of structure or home).
A good landscape design also gives the viewer a peaceful state of mind. It's akin to viewing lovely artwork. When it works, it is wonderful to behold by all. The most common reaction I receive from satisfied clients is their appreciation for the daily view. Driving by a home or office that is well landscaped can be enjoyable, inducing pride in ownership. Community beautification has always been a pleasurable source of satisfaction and pride for me. Observing the neighbors that stop by, look, and commenting on the work getting done, is really enjoyable.
Make sure your landscape specialist understands the relationship of the soil for ultimate health of all plants. A specialist can make recommendations to improve your soil nutrition and structure. Be leery of pro's that only suggest chemical fixes. Compost improves all soil. Clay, sand, loamy and all mixtures in between of these soil size particles.
So, the question of why should you hire a pro landscape specialist should be clear now and nudge you to make an appointment to come look around your place! Get ahead of the game wit a plan of action. Landscaping can be done in stages.
This concludes today's green witch blog, I hope you enjoyed and take something useful from having read it :) Have a beautiful green day!
~ Kim



That really says it all, Kim!
ReplyDelete