Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Beating the Winter Blues with Nature Magic

  The sun is hiding today. I look out the windows and it's a gray day indeed. I hop on the computer to see if there is anything going on, nope, nothing there, so I sit down to write. I write about experience in the garden. Telling stories about time well spent in a garden inspires my soul to do more and think more creatively. I can always count on getting lost in the written word, especially when the word spells anything about life science, human nature and natural phenomena.

            Network TEACH Share BELIEVE

The earth provides everything we need to survive and thrive. Mentally, physically, emotionally, completely, mother nature gives and gives. Fellow green geeks all know this to be true. I'm not alone in realizing that when we take care of our living environment, it in return, takes very good care of us. Spiritual, yes, I guess you might say so. I think of the big picture every time I behold nature in action. The sprouting of a seed, it's so beautiful, that fresh green little sprout, peeking out of crumbly textured soil. Witnessing this miracle of nature just jazzes me up inside.       

  Winter is hard on my spirit. The diminished daylight hours of Solstice dragging by is a challenge for most gardeners. We are advised to rest during the off season. I don't know about you, but all I can do is plan for my next project, seed catalog, garden container, tomato variety, dreams of a sustainable garden feeding all my neighbors, friends, and family flashing across my mind daily. I sit in the armchair, visualizing the workshops to be held and mentally list what I need to order- in order to produce a fun informative magical experience.
  
 

 ORGANIC
 ALWAYS but...Last year was a year of education for me. Education in the nature of people. I learned some very valuable lessons about life, 'friends', business, and myself. People are crazy, pour me a beer. That's all I have to say about that.

Waiting on seeds in the mail and I sure hope my 'confused' mail person gets my seed order to the right house. She takes my mail to the same incorrect address, a few miles around the corner. I don't know what's up with that, seriously! The trials of rural living are many.

If I could move my 5 acres to the city, I sure would! I would have a nature center where city folks come to get a dose of nature in the raw. Circle chants, fire pits burning, koi ponds sparkling, fruit trees and shrubs hanging heavily with organic fruit (in their respective season of ultimate ripened goodness). I'd host a hive of honey bee's to pollinate my veg and fruit plants. The honey would be processed into herbal medicine and healing body care products handcrafted in the state of the art license food kitchen. Oh yeah, I'm really dreaming big here :) Go big, or go home has always been my motto! Do not scoff at those who shout, I have a calling,,,I have a calling!! It calls to me every day now, to do all I can, to reach as many people as I can, and spread the news of the need for change in better earth practice. Sustainability and all that goes along with living harmoniously within the natural structure of a green life. 10 years ago I wanted to work in an office so I finished my college degree and after that headed to the state university college for a few semesters of higher education. I didn't quite finish with my BA but I sure learned so much and made some of the best contacts I feel there are in Oklahoma. I say contacts, when I meant to say friends, all people in the green industry are destined to be friends. This bond joins many people even when nothing else does. I never made it to an office, as that is not the place for me to dwell exclusively. I remember telling my old friend Rita, "I do not want to be a poor old wise women, I'm going to wear suits everyday and high heels, to hell with this sweating in the 105 heat building gardens" but here I am, 13 years later, degree and a partial degree in tow, and I'm still getting called to be a poor wise women working barefoot in the garden or hosting magical workshops in evening summer twilight, sharing garden magic, and healing remedies, teaching people how to take care of their homes and families naturally from the garden, I have scientific proof now, lending credibility where I had none back then. Experience and time has shown me I belong in the garden, on a laptop, so that I share an office, with mother nature, and all her life form friends :) Reminds me, I would like to grow some shitake in my office this year, note to self, order spore, asap.

Some days  finds me wanting to go back to learn more, pick up where I left and finish, maybe Horticulture Science, instead of Ag Communications and Landscape Architecture. A BAS would be so nice to hang on the shop wall. I just don't think I'm up for the hour drive there and back. That was pure madness, the drive to achieve more, that got me to class everyday, well, most days :) Now is the time to build from what I've learned. In the field, and from within many books. Now is the time to chart what I've learned so that others may learn as well. Rita Holder guides my hand in making a difference in some small way can sometimes have a big time ripple affect, benefiting many.

As it goes now, I dwell 30 miles east of Oklahoma City, and reach the city friends via the Internet. Rome was not built in a day and when I get my place built up, the people will come to me. and I will welcome every one with a story, some medicinal herb tea, and a nice place to sit a spell, outdoors in any season..today may be gray but writing about time spent in the garden chases the winter blues away, faster than anything I know :P

Have a great green Wednesday from wherever you dwell!
~ Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment