Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Salt of the Earth

I can't think of any other DIY gift idea's where I can get my creative herb on better, than when I create salt blends made from organic herbs, spices, roots & poots, yeah I said that. Tis the holiday season for seasonings and the choices for cool spice salts can really perk up a whole dinner, not to mention inspire your loved ones to get into the kitchen and make something whole, and less processed.


 


 

 

 

 DIY SEASONING SALTS RECIPES

 

All Purpose Seasoning
To make this blend I lightly ground up all the spices until they were about the same consistency. If you leave your oregano leaves and rosemary leaves whole, the garlic granules will sink to the bottle of the mix. Better to have them all closer to a powdered consistency.

This blend is perfect for grilling meats and for a variety of savory main or side dishes.
2 parts oregano
1 part rosemary
1 part fennel
1 part thyme
1/2 part garlic granules


Pumpkin Spice
As you might imagine, this pumpkin spice blend goes well in pumpkin pie. But don’t let the name of the spice limit its use. It can be used on top of ice cream, in eggnog, in oatmeal, in hot chocolate, in cookies and many more sweet treats.
4 parts cinnamon powder
2 parts ginger powder
1 part cloves powder
1/2 part nutmeg powder


Garam Masala
This traditional Indian spiced blend works well in curries and on meats and veggies. We cook a lot of Indian-inspired cuisine and this mix goes in practically every dish.
2 parts cumin powder
2 parts coriander powder
1 part turmeric powder
1/2 part cinnamon powder
1/4 part ground cloves
1/4 part ground cardamom


Celery Salt
Celery salt is commonly used in coleslaw and on popcorn. When I first had homemade celery salt I was amazed at the delicious taste. It’s way better than the store-bought stuff!

2 parts ground celery seed
1 part sea salt


Taco Seasoning
Used on tacos, fajitas, meats and chili, this spiced blend enlivens meat dishes and bean dishes. The optional cayenne powder can be increased or decreased depending on the amount of heat you want.

2 parts chipotle powder
1 part paprika powder
1 part cumin powder
1/2 part onion powder
1/2 part garlic powder
1/4 part cayenne powder (optional)


This is just a small beginning for the blends that can be created. I would love to get all my friends together with all our combined herbs and spices to do bulk blending socially..

Happy Holidays
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment