GARDEN SPIRIT..
The connection to others who dwell in the dirt is what garden spirit means to me. It is a peaceful easy feeling that comes over one when exposed to nature. I'm personally addicted to it and fiem in frustration when Winter steals my outdoor adventure comfort factor. Now that it is mid March the birds are singing loud, calling to their feathered friends, hey there, frogs are a peeping in some unseen water source out back, it is like a symphony of perfect hear candy.
Every day the visual treat of Spring brings new leaves unfurling slowly, shiny and new. Watching nature wake up is better than cable! Fruit trees and early Spring bloomers are budding out all over in naked abandon, pop, pow, bam! Oklahoma has the redbuds, forsythia, tulip tree, dogwood, and sand plums showing off their seasonal best floral display- showing at all local forests state wide this week. I remember my Hort professor teaching us that Spring has arrived when the oak tree buds are as big as mouse ears. LOL I've always used that as my official guide as mother nature knows best.
Gardening by the correct moon phase has been a little project I've got going and am trying to stick by and chart findings, special notes, discoveries. There is a great chart on The Farmer's Almanac and I check it every morning before planning my daily farm chores. Today I will be sowing seed and planting seed beds for flowers and herbs. IF i had my beds prepared I would be sowing cucumbers, pole beans, peas, etc. But it's not. Working with what I got here. Building a dream on a dime is a challenge!
Workshops are still in the works. I have the ideas, the room, just building the gardens now so that we have actual materials one can grow to work with and demonstrate from. Ordering heirloom seeds to plant, sell, grow today from the Sustainable Seed Exchange where we are new members. This is project dear to my soul. Heirloom seed equals food freedom, simple as that! We can't eat gold or diamonds or pretty baubles but we need nutritious food to feed our bodies properly and that is getting hard to do with today's food situation. I have been in the heirloom hobby for 20 years because the names have always fascinated and intrigued my curious mind. So many stories, history, and tales go along with each and every seed that has been passed down and saved, generation after generation, it is amazing and amusing. Saving seeds and collecting interesting varieties will thrill me to my dying days... I know this and this fill me with hope for the future days in the garden.
P<3ace out from OKC in an organic green witch garden
No comments:
Post a Comment