Thursday, March 7, 2013

Small & Local

    
     I have no disillusion that the dream farm I'm building is likely to land me on easy street anytime soon. I also know farming and agricultural careers are difficult at times facing weather, insects, disease and weed competition. I even realize the amount of energy it takes to produce an organic community supported farming system. You might even be wondering "Why does she do it?"


Following that Path Now!
     I'll tell you some of my reasons, and they are many. First and foremost the passionate act of growing any life form is powerfully addictive. Humans react to the simple act of care and nurturing of living things. Gardening compels one to invest time and effort to achieve even more growth and perhaps fruit, flowers, herbs, and ornamentation from plants. We are given so much from our neighboring plant world. Food, fiber, building materials, dye, medicine, atmospheric oxygen and even shelter from the elements. Some grow plants for the beauty alone. Plant life, here on this planet earth, is as exciting as it gets visually. The colors, shape, form, variety, texture and colors are endless. Many grow certain plants for the taste and aroma they impart to the food table and or the garden beds. Whatever the reasons are that drive people to plot, plan and plant their way through chilly and wet muddy spring cultivation, hot steamy scorching summer temperatures, and unpredictable fall garden forecasts, they always bring people together.
                                                                                                       
 
As an herbalist I understand the power and sacred essence of plant medicines. Before chemical cocktails there were healing or physic gardens. A potager garden included culinary food, spice and herbs for eating fresh, drying for winter use, and for medicinal remedy. I believe there needs to be a resurgence of this type of resourceful garden. An organic gardener can grow many useful plants that can ward off a costly Dr.'s visit. Learn to heal your body naturally with food, herbs, and spices. Prevention is the key to a sustainable life. Keep your body healthy with nutritious organic non- gmo & processed food and that body will resist the disease that comes naturally from genetics and the aging process.

    




I try to stay updated on all new studies concerning health, food,  nutrition, and I keep coming back to the basic need for the simple act of growing a portion of what your family consumes. The benefits are exercise, pride in achievement, tasty fresh food, variety in your diet, added nutrition and bragging rights from growing your own food. I can't describe the incredibly natural serotonin high I am flooded with when I see a plant growing a piece of food on it. It's still to this day, after gardening 20 years, a magical miracle in my mind that food is grown from plants. This wonderfully symbiotic relationship I have with my garden is unstoppable. I've also learned that by feeding your soil and plants correctly that this food you might grow becomes even more magically nutritious than what is available for sale in your local chain supermarket.

Studies have shown time and time again that the food produced conventionally today is substandard and less nutritious by 40 % of what it was 50 years ago. The farming practices of the last 50 years have depleted the soils of naturally occurring nutrients. Organic farming does just the opposite. Organic and sustainably gardened farms give back to the soil as they use up nutrients. Feed the soil that feeds the plant that ultimately feeds you. Organic farmers utilize compost, worm castings, cover crops, companion planting, IPM, etc to keep things healthy. The food produced using these type of growing conditions taste sweeter, smell better, and truly feed for life.

Feeding for life! Now that's something that I can get behind and rally for. I truly believe it was my purpose here on the planet to help educate and teach people how to feed themselves safely, less expensive, and with greater understanding. Our food chain today is a scary environment to try to feed from. Toxic chemical sprayed produce and sickly chemical pumped animals is freaky frightening! Sometimes it is the uneducated home garden farmer themselves that applies the insecticides, herbicide, fungicides in attempts to kill annoying crop decimating bugs. I understand your plight, believe me, I do. Organic farming as a small local business is most challenging in central Oklahoma. We get the worst of the worst and very little of the good and mild. I enjoy designing for the edgy sustainable living loving people we have thriving throughout the state. Landscaping whether for food or aesthetics it matters not. It's all got to be earth friendly!                  UNFRIENDLY     FRIENDLY
Here is a graphic list telling which foods you need to get growing and buying first. I just planted Apple, Strawberry, Peach, Spinach, Potatoes, Lettuce, and Kale/Greens. This is a good start in the right direction. I can show you how it's done or come do it for you if your local. Growing food does not have to take up huge amounts of space.
 
Here on the farm we will be busy producing useful plants for eventual 2013 public purchase. Medicinal, culinary, crafting, lore & magick, food, botanical body care. Let's make this year count in putting our health first for an ultimate excellent life.
Thanks for the time..
Kim Campbell

1 comment: